Monday, 11 April 2011

I love...Kate Edmondson Bridal Couture

I met Kate Edmondson Bridal Couture at the Designer Vintage Bridal Show in February and she is really the loveliest lady!  Her designs are AMAZING and I wanted to share a little bit of her with you!

Tell me a bit about your company?
We design and make luxury wedding dresses and headpieces for the discerning bride using luxury silks and satins and laces. The service we provide is a personalise design and fit process whereby all brides receive a free initial consultation receiving expert advice on the shapes fabrics budgets and styling advice. During the consultation brides can try on samples from the existing collection. Some brides may have an idea of the dress they like I am also able to design one around their ideas. We also design and make headpieces also using luxury silk and laces. The headpiece can also be made in the same fabric of your dress. We work very closely with all our brides to ensure each piece is unique and individual.


How did you get into wedding dress design?
I have wanted to be a bridal wear designer since the age of 10 so I knew I would pursue a career in this area. So I went straight to Art College and did a Btec National Diploma in Clothing which equipped me with basic pattern cutting and construction skills. I then went on to further my studies and graduated with BA Hons in Fashion in 1997. During that period I also worked for various wedding dress designer based in London gaining valuable experience. I have also love following bridal fashion and would collect bridal magazines. During my work experience I realised I wanted to own my own label. So I started working from home making wedding dresses to local brides. I got funding from the Princes Trust which helped me to buy a cutting table, tailors dummy and other tools of the trade.


My favourite part of the whole process is the designing. I love draping developing styles on the stand and pattern cutting. I love transforming a drawing into real life dresses. Bring the dream into a reality is a real buzz.


Do you have a favourite dress you have designed?
I have a few dresses that I like Rosetta being one of those which is a heavy crepe dress with a rose in the front. I also like Antonia which has a real vintage feel and 1930s look made in ivory crepe back satin. Imogene which is a gold dress in vintage lace.

I would love to make a wedding dress for Sienna Miller and Kate Moss both women are the epitomise style and glamour.


Do you have any exciting plans for the future?
I would like to keep showcasing my dresses at vintage bridal shows. Develop relationships with bridal boutiques. I would also love to get my dresses into Browns Bride London. I would eventually like to have my own shop.

Which designers do you admire?
I have several bridalwear designers I like Phillipa Lepley who produces classic elegant dresses. The cut and fit of her dresses are exquisite. I admire the quality of her dresses. I also like the designer Jenny Packham, David Fielden, Amanda Wakeley. These designers have a fresh and modern approach to bridalwear. I also love Elizabeth Filmore an American based designer I love a stunning collection of dresses.


Thank you Kate and hope to see you soon! x

No comments:

Post a Comment