This was a christening cake for a little girl so pink and white spots were the theme. I had lots of different plans for making the shoes but then Giovanna added a tutorial to her blog and I had to go with it! Thanks Giovanna! The shoes were so good the client even asked if I'd made them myself!
This cake was a challenge! Not only was it the largest single tier cake I've made, it was also decorated with the most amount of models!
We had a horse, a chicken, two pigs, a dog, a cow, a mouse and two ducks with a hay pile, feed bags, drive, mud pool and pond! The barn and tower were polysterene so that the recipient could keep them as mementos of her special day.
The birthday celebrations consisted of a barn dance hence the farm related cake. The design was sent to me by the client and is based on a cake on Cake Central (while researching this cake I came across quite a few based on this cake - the original cake maker should be very proud!)
My client was so nice, he was travelling quite a distance with the cake and telephoned me to let me know he and the cake arrived safely - how sweet is that?!
Do you like the needle in the haystack?? This was Dave's idea and he even made the needle himself!
This cake was commissioned by a lovely client Katy for her partner was turning 30.
Previous car cakes I've made I've placed on a round board but this time I decided on square and I love it! The white board really contrasts against the dark grey car and it makes me smile. It took a lot of hard work and I was working late adding the finishes touches but it was worth it.
Apparently Sean was going go-kart racing during the day then a dinner at night when the cake would be 'presented' - hope he liked it!
This is what my workspace looked like this morning....
As you can see I'm working on a car cake! Specifically it's an Audi RS6 Avant.
The cake needed to be 12" x 4.6" in size so, using my trusty multiway square tin, I fixed the inserts to give me a 12" x 5" cake and calculated how much mixture I would need.... then I don't know what happened... perhaps I was thinking about the lovely weather outside and how nice it would be to go for a walk, perhaps I was contemplating how excessively big the pig was on my Barnyard cake, anyway, whatever it was I ended up baking the cake in the OTHER section of the tin so instead of being 5" wide it was 7" wide and way too shallow! Not to worry, I made another shallow 5" cake and all was saved!
In the past the car cakes I've made have been from chocolate mud cake which is firm enough to sculpt but moist enough that it doesn't need a filling. Today's cake was a madeira so I filled it with jam (I accidentally typed 'ham' here first...hmm, madeira with a ham filling...I reckon Dave would love that!) and buttercream then proceed to carve. As you can imagine as I scuplted so the filling squirmed out over the cake board, over the knife, over me.... next time I'm cutting then filling!
The cake is currently in the fridge so the buttercream that I applied to the outside of the cake can firm up before I cover it.... Onto the next task.... cup of tea of course!
'At Caroline's blog you will find an inspiring collection of cakes in a captivating range of styles. Whether Caroline's creations are fun sculptured cakes or more delicate and romantic designs her attention to detail and passion for her craft shine through. Accompanied by her friendly and engaging writing style, Caroline shares the inspirations behind her cake designs and even her design process. Mixed in with her wonderful creations are more light-hearted posts about Caroline's other passions and business experiences.'
I had an enquiry recently about the Nikon Camera cake on my website - I'd forgotten how much I like this cake! The photos aren't very good as, at the time, I was still learning about lighting and where to put the cake for best effect (this was pre-daylight lamp time. A new time period perhaps BDL - Before Daylight Lamp!)
The cake was made from a 10" square. Two circles of cake were cut out and 'stuck' together with buttercream to make the lens shape, then wrapped in black sugarpaste. When this base was dry another layer of paste was added and indented for the outer section of the lens then painted with numbers around the base.
The remainder of the square was sculpted into the shape of the camera body and also covered in black sugarpaste. The buttons and screens were added. I always find it best to research these type of cakes thoroughly so that you include all the proper details and you can impress with extra bits! I look forward to making one again.....
Caroline's Cake Company had another mention on an interesting site called Cake Decorating Courses that (as you would imagine) lists online cake decorating courses and blogs - I spent a good few hours looking at all the sites that are mentioned on there!
This is a cake I made for Samuel's christening on Sunday.
50 vanilla cupcakes covered in buttercream and white icing with little blue or white feet on the top. Plus a 6" vanilla cake for the top of the cake stand decorated with little feet, building blocks and stars - it was really cute!